Canning at Home
Derek and I decided instead of just talking about our food storage that we should actually work on accumulating a year supply of food storage. It was always something that we knew we needed to do one day, but it always got pushed off.
So last Wednesday, we made it a family date night to take a field trip to our local cannery. It was so much fun! As a family, we canned macaroni. Cassidy did her part too. She was in charge of putting the oxygen packets in the cans. She did a great job! She looked so cute in her hair net, I wish I would have brought my camera. We are definitely planning to go again! We left with more than what we canned of course.
They even let us borrow a portable canning machine so we could can our two 50lb bags of rice and two 50lb bags of hard white wheat. We tackled the project on Friday night and finally finished after we put Cassidy to bed. Once we figured out our system of doing this it went pretty well. I'm glad I have such a wonderful hubby who understands the importance of being prepared, and who took the initiative to do something about it.
We also decided to invest the extra money from Pres. Bush's stimulus plan in a freezer and a special mother's day gift, a Bosch mixer. I'm so excited to now make homemade bread and eventually be able to completely stop buying bread at the store.
1 comment:
Wow--that is cool that your cannery lets kids help--ours only allow I think like 12 and up to come. Good job on all that stuff and making bread--I try to make most of ours too, but someitmes I get lazy and just buy it!
Post a Comment