Monday, March 30, 2009

My Turn to Teach

Well I finished the end of my 2 weeks teaching the little munchkins for preschool. Camille and I taught together, and I'm so glad I had her by my side. Even though it's not always easy to keep eight 3 year olds together, I had a fun time. I soon realized that Cassidy did get in trouble the most (I wonder if it had something to do with preschool being at her house). I know all kids have good days and bad days just like us adults. We got through it together.

Our first day to teach was the day before St. Patrick's Day, so of course we celebrated and talked all about the Irish Holiday. We asked the kids to all come dressed in green. Their craft was painting a Leprechaun, going on a treasure hunt for a pot of gold (actually yellow jello) with clues from songs they know. For example, 3 little monkeys jumping on the _____? They ran to Cassidy's bed and found a clue...and on and on. It was a clever idea of Camille's. The kids enjoyed it! We also talked a lot about an Irish traditional food-Potatoes. The kids sampled different things to eat made out of potatoes: mashed potatoes, potato bread, and potato chips. They didn't mind that either.

The rest of the 2 weeks our theme was all about the Circus, Clowns, and Animals. I know fun, huh? We did things like reading a Clown story, more like trying to read, in a camping tent decorated like our Circus tent. Pretended to walk on a tightrope, painted the kid's faces and wore red clown noses, made Ice Cream clown faces for snack, practiced our Math with 3 Rings taped to the carpet: small, medium, and large circles. The kids placed stuffed animals according to their size to the size of the circle ring. This activity was a hit!

We talked about different kind of animals and how to take care of them. Each child picked out an animal friend and then fed, groomed, and loved them in their own laundry baskets as their animal home. Worked on a Monkey puzzle worksheet. Ate animal crackers for snack time. The kids also got to take their potted grass seeds home because they started growing like crazy. They planted them with Miss Valeri and Miss Anna and got all excited to watch their grass grow. It was great! Welcoming Spring!

The last day we made a Lion Face craft. It took a long time to do so we didn't get to all the other things planned except for the Balloon Sensory Science activity where Camille put all different kinds of things in balloons and the children had to guess and feel what they thought it was: water, rice, beans, flour, etc. Do they all feel the same? How do they differ? The kids really liked that too. The kids colored a picture of a house that focused on our letter "H" for that day. Then we ate caramel popcorn for snack. It was delicious!

Most of the time I was really enjoying this preschool thing. I'm so glad we're doing this. Today was the next rotation at a new house with new teachers and Cassidy didn't want me to leave her. But I'm sure she got over it quick. I'm so grateful for this opportunity to share with my daughter and to share it with friends and their cute kids.


We used the kids handprints for the Leprechaun hat, face, and beard



Derek helped me with the sign, he's such a wonderful helper



Decorating their Ice Cream Clown Faces


Tightrope Walking, Steady!


I think Tyler enjoyed laying on the soft pile of animals


Look at that grass grow!


Such great Animal Care-Givers




Free Play-Time!!


As you can see we continued to have fun with the tent. It stayed up for another week.

8 comments:

Holly said...

WOW! It looks like a goo time was had by all-teachers and preschoolers! ;)

Derek said...

We ended up keeping the "circus" tent up for the whole week. It was fun to read and play in, or even escape for a little nap.

Great job Angie!

Carolyn said...

Looks like now you have trained Oakley to watch over Derek! That comment in your last post almost had me going....I was like, "WHAT? They left her with the DOG!" Yeah, you got me there! Looks like a fun school and quite a bit of work--you deserve a break man--how about Cancun????

J2A2K (darth_ender) said...

Great job Ange! Wow! I'm impressed with your preschool! How old can your students be? ;) It looks like a lot of work, but worth it. The kids all look like they were having a blast! You girls came up with some great ideas! I'll have to ask you for some in the future. :) I bet you're ready for the break, but also looking forward to the next time you teach. Keep up the teaching and mothering! You're doing awesome! By the way tell Derek the sign adds the finishing touch on the "circus" tent! Yeah hoooonnneeeyyy! :)

Dunbabin said...

So fun! Thanks Angie, for putting the preschool thing together! Tyler has sure enjoyed going each week.

Camille Foote said...

I am so glad we ended up teaching together now that the craziness of it is all over it really was fun. You are so good to let us all invade your house. Thanks Angie you are so fun and easy to work with.

Valeri said...

Somehow I missed this post! You did great capturing so much! Wow, I'm impressed! Looks like everyone had lots of fun!

LeighSabey said...

Angie, I love your blog! I just read your last few posts and it sounds like you guys have a lot of fun stuff going on! If Claire were old enough I would be begging you to let her in your AWESOME pre-school :). And how great is Derek for joining you on those midnight newspaper routes? You guys totally deserve a vacation after all that work!!!