Monday, August 04, 2008

Started out as Neighbors, Then became Family



Our first home together here in Colorado Springs was at The Neighborhood Apartments. We lived on the second floor and just below us, lived a sweet lady named Florence. Florence was 89 years old when we met her. Instantly, we became friends and over the years became family. We were so blessed to be neighbors with someone like her. Florence is a special lady with lots of wisdom and strength. She is definitely a special person in our lives.

A year later, after living in the apartment, Derek and I bought our first home and no longer had the privilege of having Florence living just a flight of stairs away from us. But over the years, we kept in touch with Florence and would continue our visits. We would always enjoy the sweet moments we shared. We would do errands together, invite Florence to watch General Conference at our house (that's when Florence would smile and say she had Pres. Hinckley beat by one year in age), eat lunch at different restaurants, celebrate birthdays, enjoy church functions like talent shows (Florence would think all the missionaries were just cute as can be), and just be there for one another. The best part was these last two years, Florence and Cassidy were able to get to know each other. It's been so sweet how Florence calls her one of her own grand babies. And just this last week Cassidy and I went for a visit to see Florence. She is now 98 years old and living in a nursing home. It just broke my heart seeing her so tired and so fragile. But we wouldn't miss it for the world. Together we were able to cherish some sweet moments.

Right away Florence would smile and wave to Cassidy. A couple of times, she would reach her hand out to Cassie and of course Cassie would hold her hand in return. It was so precious! Then Florence would close her eyes and fall asleep. Her health has continually gotten worse and to the point of not recognizing people. I'm not sure if she recognized us but it didn't matter. It meant a thousand words to see Florence open her eyes several times during our visit and just smile at Cassidy.

I was so touched watching Cassidy be so gentle and loving with Florence. She would ask Florence if she wanted some water to drink and then would ask me to help her fill up her cup. Cassidy also grabbed a magazine and placed it on Florence's lap and started reading it to her. It made me feel so happy to witness those sweet moments.

After some time we soon realized Cassidy wasn't just a fan of Florence's but also made other new friends living at the nursing home. She was in popular demand and brought many smiles to the other residents and to the nursing staff. My daughter couldn't have made me feel more prouder for what she did that day!

At 98 years old, I know Florence could slip away any day now, and I know when that time comes we will truly miss our dear friend. But we will be forever grateful for the times we did have. I will cherish our memories and good times forever. I know Florence will be in good hands when the time comes to return back home with our Heavenly Father and with her sweetheart whom she's been so patiently waiting to reunite with. Florence, thank you for all of your love, friendship, and for teaching me so much about life. We love you!





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Angie,
This is very sweet, I enjoyed reading this. Thanks for sharing this special moment with everyone, it was very touching. Love you guys! Doug and Family

Carolyn said...

Oh that is so neat for you guys and Cassidy! Thanks for sharing this with us!

Lina said...

I love elderly people, they are amazing, full of love and winsdom.
I am thankful that you let us come into your heart.
I think Florence is adorable, and so is Cassy.
Love you, Lina